Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in order to participate in the search process should contact the search chair (if applying for faculty position, please see General Description for contact) or the
Human Resources Office
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR:
Director - Health Services|
Under general supervision, the Billing Specialist provides administrative and clerical support for Health Services; as well as processing physician office billing and patient and physician inquires, relative to billing and health insurance claim submission.
Process, review and send insurance claims and enter health insurance payments into the data collection system;
Extensive knowledge of Commercial Insurance, Medicare and Medicaid regulations;
Maintain extensive knowledge of all insurance plans, including claims submission, protocols, diagnostic and procedure coding, referrals, co-pays and review methods;
Request review of all rejections on payment vouchers;
Complete electronic billing as required, in conjunction with Director of Health Services and generate submission report;
Coordinate claims submission for primary and secondary billing;
Assist with computer problems associated with insurance claims as indicated;
Review HMO newsletter information and disseminates to appropriate office staff;
Maintain cordial, accommodating and welcoming presence to patients at all times;
Process secondary claims with copies of vouchers/EOB’s attached;
Maintain legal competency related to billing activities;
Responsible for bi-yearly financial / billing audit;
Responsible for follow up claims;
Assist co-workers with specific requests where necessary or indicated;
Responsible for balancing individual daily activity and providing balance logs to Director of Health Services;
Responsible for generating accounts receivable reports and their review with the Director of Health Services;
Enhance billing department and Niagara University’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments;
Process bills for services rendered to patients in order to obtain reimbursement from insurance companies, and other sources;
Handle all incoming telephone calls related to billing issues;
Correspond with patients relative to accounts receivable problems;
Maintain confidentiality of information (including but not limited to: student and employee personal information, student grades, etc.), both during and after their employment with the University. Any question regarding the confidentiality of material, should be referred to the supervisor. Any violation shall subject the employee to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Perform other duties as assigned.
95% Billing related to duties
5% Training, communicating, returning phone calls etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1) Ability to read and comprehend the English language sufficiently to be able to read and understand various forms, documentation, files and information.
2) Basic mathematical skills including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to be able to verify accuracy of work.
3) Be punctual, cooperative and helpful while demonstrating a professional demeanor
4) Proficiency to handle various office machines including but not limited to: keyboard, calculator, computer, copier and fax machine.
5) Ability to receive telephone calls, respond to inquiries and effectively communicate with others.
6) Computer literate, including Microsoft Office, and ability to learn new computer software programs.
7) Excellent organizational skills with attention to details.
8) Ability to perform all essential job functions accurately with minimal direct supervision.
9) Ability to display sound judgment to insure timely processing and completion of assigned tasks.
10) Office management skills with the ability to work independently and accept responsibility
11) Ability to be flexible and cordial to all visitors and customers and maintain confidentiality.
12) Strong verbal and written communication skills.
13) A valid New York State driver’s license is required that satisfies both University and insurance company underwriting rules and regulations for driving a motor vehicle. Must also be able to operate a motor vehicle in Canada.
The functions of the position usually performed sitting, but may require some amount of time standing. Some amount of stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying and other movements may be required. Tasks involving working on a computer keyboard, computer software applications, calculator, cutting, labeling, and taping involve extensive wrist and hand movement. All individuals are required to be able to perform these movements without significant risk of injury to themselves or others.
1) High School diploma required with education, training and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities. Associates Degree preferred.
2) A minimum of two years of experience performing similar tasks is required. 3-4 years of progressively responsible financial, accounting or billing experience preferred.
3) Prior work experience in a health related environment is preferred.
Non Discrimination/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement Policy:
The University affirms its commitment to equal opportunity and non-discrimination and recognizes its responsibility to provide for all employees an environment that is free of discrimination and harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, national origin, age, marital status, predisposed genetic disorder, Vietnam Era or disabled veteran status, disability or other category protected by law. The University also does not tolerate any actual or attempted reprisals or retaliation against an employee who raises a sincere and valid concern regarding harassment or discrimination. All such discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation is, therefore, strictly prohibited. This policy protects and covers the conduct of all employees, without regard to job title or status. Anyone engaging in the above mentioned conduct is subject to disciplinary action up to and including discharge or termination of any other status.
Niagara University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. A copy of the Student Right to Know Annual Security Report is available at: