Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in order to participate in the search process should contact the search chair (if applying for faculty position, please see General Description for contact) or the
Human Resources Office
Family Nurse Practitioner|
TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR:
Director - Health Services|
Under general supervision, the nurse practitioner provides advanced knowledge, skills and competencies to assess the physical status of students; diagnose; order diagnostic tests; prescribe medications, treatments and therapies and evaluate the outcomes of medical interventions.
Provide diagnosis and management of minor, acute, episodic illness, stable, chronic disease, health promotion and health maintenance;
Skillfully interview the patient to develop a medical and health history regarding the chief complaint; indicators of health; developmental history and factors contributing to or undermining the academic success of students;
Perform physical examinations to evaluate the chief complaint and differentiate between abnormal and normal physical findings;
Order laboratory & radiological diagnostic tests as appropriate, including point of care tests;
Documentation of data via problem-oriented health history which includes chief complaint, history of present illness, patient profile, family history, past illnesses, review of pre-admissions Medical History & Immunization Record and review of systems;
Provide prescriptions for drugs, devices and immunizing agents in accordance with the practice agreement and protocols. Provide non-prescription drugs and alternative therapies for symptom control;
Provide psychosocial support measures to patients, significant other and parents;
Teach patients to understand their illness, follow through with prescribed medical regimen and cope with changing life patterns as related to changing health status, developmental tasks and academic challenges;
Assist patients to identify and utilize health resources to coordinate and assist patients in health maintenance, health promotion and disease prevention;
Collaborate with other associate health disciplines to ensure continuity of client care;
Provide screening and advisement over the phone and document all phone consultations in the patient’s medical record;
Provide expeditious assessment of medical emergencies when called upon, initiate appropriate medical care, direct the nursing team and refer out as deemed necessary;
Maintain confidential medical records. Follow appropriate legal and medical records policy and procedures for storing, transfer, retrieval and maintenance of all medical records and medical information;
Provide medical procedures such as immunizations, Tuberculosis Screening, phlebotomy, etc.;
Ensure that medical practice is current and consistent with the best medical practices as defined in evidence based and outcomes based medical research, standards of medical practice revisions and protocol updates;
Ensure that medical practice is current and relevant by attending CMS – continuing medical education programs, maintaining membership in appropriate professional organizations and networking regularly with other health professionals, specifically those who work in other college health programs;
Participate in the development and implementation of health education and wellness programs;
Maintain confidentiality of information (including but not limited to: student and employee personal information, student grades, etc.), both during and after their employment with the University. Any question regarding the confidentiality of material, should be referred to the supervisor. Any violation shall subject the employee to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment;
Perform other duties as assigned
90% Perform direct patient care as an advanced practice Nurse Practitioner; including documentation of medical information pertinent to student appointments.
10% Assist with identifying health risk behaviors affecting academic success and recommending health promotion activities to address students’ health risk behaviors. Perform and participate in identified health/wellness programming for NU community promoting.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1) Knowledge of and skill in advanced family and adult nurse practitioner clinical medical practice.
2) Current knowledge of primary and urgent care, public health, community health issues and college health issues.
3) Current knowledge of the revised protocols and standards for managing acute, episodic and chronic stable medical problems, prescribing pharmaceutical drugs and non-prescription medication and therapies.
4) Skilled in medical physical assessment, diagnosis, prescribing and evaluating outcomes of medications used and therapies prescribed.
5) Ability to function in an outpatient medical clinical setting and administer routine medical office procedures.
6) Good oral and written communication skills as well as good interpersonal skills.
7) Understanding of teaching theories and motivation theories.
8) Ability to maintain strict confidentiality according to HIPPA laws in every aspect of the job due to the private nature of health information.
9) Knowledge of New York State Standards of Practice for Professional Registered Nurses, NYS Immunization Law, Nursing Professional Malpractice & Misconduct laws and OSHA regulations.
10) Ability to read and comprehend educational literature, various forms, documentation, files and information in the department.
11) Proficiency to handle various office machines including but not limited to: computer keyboard, computer software applications, calculator, copy machine and fax.
12) Ability to receive telephone calls, respond to inquiries and communicate with others by telephone.
13) Ability to work flexible hours days and evenings during the week. Scheduling of work hours is adjusted on a weekly basis and throughout the academic year.
The functions of the position usually performed sitting, but may require some amount of time standing. Some amount of stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, lifting, walking, carrying and other movements may be required. Tasks involving working on a computer keyboard, computer software applications, calculator, cutting, labeling, and taping involve extensive wrist and hand movement. All individuals are required to be able to perform these movements without significant risk of injury to themselves or others.
1) NYS Family Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner or eligible for NYS Licensure.
2) Master’s of Science in Family Nurse Practitioner or Adult Nurse Practitioner.
3) A minimum of 3 to 5 years of current relevant experience in primary medical care required with experience in general medicine and/or urgent care/emergency, women’s health and adolescent health. Additional experience in mental health preferred.
4) Current certification for CPR for Professional Rescuer.
5) Previous college health experience preferred.
Non Discrimination/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement Policy:
The University affirms its commitment to equal opportunity and non-discrimination and recognizes its responsibility to provide for all employees an environment that is free of discrimination and harassment based on gender, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, national origin, age, marital status, predisposed genetic disorder, Vietnam Era or disabled veteran status, disability or other category protected by law. The University also does not tolerate any actual or attempted reprisals or retaliation against an employee who raises a sincere and valid concern regarding harassment or discrimination. All such discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation is, therefore, strictly prohibited. This policy protects and covers the conduct of all employees, without regard to job title or status. Anyone engaging in the above mentioned conduct is subject to disciplinary action up to and including discharge or termination of any other status.
Niagara University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. A copy of the Student Right to Know Annual Security Report is available at: